After a long day in the saddle and a relaxing jaunt to the cinema (I can highly recommend Good Vibrations by the way), sleep came easily when I got back to Balnearn House. After a sumptuous breakfast, I sheepishly trudled off to tackle the realtively short 16 miles to Pitlochry. Grey skies above did not bode well, and proved to be (for the most part) my constant companions throughout the trip. Rare photo ops when the clouds broke were pounced upon with a screeching of brakes and a scrabbling through numeorous pockets trying to remember where I last put the camera for safekeeping from the rain.
 |
| Black Watch Memorial |
 |
| General Wade's Bridge |
After stopping briefly before leaving Aberfeldy to admire the Black Watch Memorial and General Wade's Bridge (still the main entrance to the town from the North) I was soon making good time on the well surfaced minor roads that made up the section of the NCN 7 I was using today.
 |
| Almost there already! |
Some impressive houses en route, especially over looking the golf course. Now, I'm not one for celebrity gossip so let's just say that the owner of this well secured (see cameras) humble abode would take no time to magic up a book or two, and would soon be "rolling" in even more cash!
 |
| Cameras to "repello muggletum" |
After giving up on the star spotting, I hunkered down to some serious cycling through the rain, and soon had a rather grey looking Pitlochry in my sights.
 |
| Not looking it's best |
It didn't take long before I was on the bustling main street, dodging the tour buses and the hordes of (mostly 80s +) tourists hoovering up the tat from the souvenirs shops. Having said that, it's a lovely place and being so early I had time to have a wander around before heading up to Dunmurray Lodge, my base for the next three nights.
 |
| Pitlochry dam and the power station, with the fish ladder in the foreground |
 |
| Loch Faskally, behind the dam |
 |
| One of the few to escape Dr Beeching's clutches. |
Tomorrow sees me tacking the Loch Tummel Circuit which should present a sterner test than today did. Unfortunately, the forecast is for the same mixed bag I had today. Time will tell.
If you're interested in the stats, today's route can be checked out here.
After last night's high-brow community arts venue, I think I might settle for spit 'n' sawdust and the football on the pub telly tonight. Must be at least one venue like that in douce and sedate Pitlochry surely!
No comments:
Post a Comment