Thursday, 2 May 2013

Day 5 - Loch Tummel Circuit

A mild, almost balmy evening in Pitlochry had me hoping for improved weather for Day 5, and Loch Tummel. I wandered down the High Street looking for sustenance, and wasn't short of options.

Red sky at night, cyclist's delight! (Ha!)
In the end, I plumped for a Scottish theme bar called McKays where all that staff wear kilts. Drinking in the atmosphere, I decided to go the whole hog and opt for the full Caledonian Experience! So, my Latvian waitress duly brought a steaming bowl of pasta and a Czech pilsner to my table, while I listened to Irish music and watched a German and a Spanish team play football live on Sky. I'm pretty sure I could have paid in US Dollars if I'd had any one me too. Och Aye the noo!

Being an ex forces man, landlord Tony served breakfast this morning with miltiary precision, timing everything to perfection. Far too many delights were brought to my table and I manfully tried to polish it all off lest I be confined to quarters for the rest of the day. A handful of beans was all that I left, which seemed to engender a grudging respect from the breakfast-inspector. To be fair, Tony is great company and a keen cyclist to boot, and was only to happy to discuss my chosen route for the day and pass on some tips (having completed it many times himself).

Off I set, ready for the challenge ahead. However, I wasn't even at the end of the hill down to the town centre when the heavens opened, and I had to battle my way through a constant downpour for the first hour or so. Even as I made my way up the final approaches to the Queen's View overlooking Loch Tummel, the rain kept coming, easing off only slighlty to allow me to take a couple of snaps at the viewpoint.

Stunning in any weather.
....until something comes along to spoil the view of course!
Bernhard and Elsa from Hamburg who were kind enough take the photo above discussed the weather with me at length, claiming that it wasn't a problem and was all part of the experience. They then jumped into their hired Mercedes with heated leather seats and glided off into the mist leaving me shivering on the promontory as the strains of Mantovani or whatever it was they were blasting out on their car stereo faded into the distance.
 
Undeterred - even as the rain started falling again - I set off for the end of the loch and the turning point at Tummel Bridge, to pick up the South road back to Pitlochry.
 
Only after I was well past the half way point did the rain stop.
 
At last, the rain stops.
Much quieter on the South side of the loch - and no logging lorries, making for far more pleasant cycling on the return leg (granted, the lack of rain also probably helped)

The road less travelled.......
Clunie Arch - same dimensions as the tunnel from the dam to the power station.
By the time I was nearing Pitlochry, the weather had improved dramatically and I was alomst at the stage I could think about drying out. The last couple of miles were pleasant descents with good views of the town over Loch Faskally. Time to find a warm cafe, and a hot brew!
 
By the way, there are some dodgy sounding businesses in and around Pitlochry! No doubt they're all above board, but not sure I'd find it in me to trust either of these....
 
This Estate Agent's name has got to be a wind up!
.....and yes, he is right next door to a butcher's shop!

Today's route is as usual, available here but please note I didn't fly the last wee bit. I must have accidently knocked the GPS onto pause while I was dicking about with the camera at Clunie Arch, and never noticed for another 4km.
 
Tomorrow's route is the last of the trip and up to Blair Atholl via Killiecrankie - with the option of a distillery tour on the way back looking tempting!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment