Friday, 3 May 2013

Day 6 - Pitlochry to Blair Castle

The forecast did not bode well....

Oh oh....
I even went to the lengths of frantically checking the forecast for my destination.....only 7 miles away!

Well, that was pointless.....
There was no option but to steel myself for the journey ahead with one of Tony's magnificent breakfasts - he didn't disappoint. Armed with further tips from mein host regarding the route and the castle itself (along with a potted history of the lineage - juicy gossip mostly) I reluctantly mounted my faithful mode of transport and headed off into the mist. While not as heavy as yesterday (yet)! the rain was constant and was of that very fine consistency that soaks right through you. The going was tough, and the brief respite of a long fast descent into the village of Killiecrankie was dashed with the realisation that I was going to have to come back up that hill on the return leg!

Thankfully, being the final route of the holiday it was deliberately short, with lots of sightseeing options - Blair Castle being the main one.


Hoots mon!
It wasn't long before the impressive gates to the castle grounds were in site, and I was at the kiosk handing over my cash with the rest of the tourists. The entrance hall way with it's display of armoury and muskets was indeed impressive but gradually, one stately bedroom or dining room began to look very much like the last one. They were however dry and warm, and afforded me glorious views of the damp scenery outside.

I've seen this guy before somewhere....
I have to say however, that the exterior of the castle is beautiful, even in the greyest of weather. Despite some temporary covers being installed to provide shelter for the roof repairers, the brief - but soggy - walk around the grounds made for some decent photo ops.


Under wraps for roof repairs

Must come back in the summer.....
After delaying it as long as I could (there's only so many things you can pick up and put back down again the in gift shop without arousing suspicion), I finally retrieved the bike and headed off back into all the hideousness outside.

Feeling pleased that I tackled the big hill at Killiecrankie without so much as a whimper, I stopped off at the visitor centre and enjoyed a wee history lesson about the famous battle of the same name and the story of the ill fated Jacobite Rebellion. A wee walk down into the Pass of Killiecrankie (scene of the battle) was more for the sake of it than anything else as the rain was now lashing down.
 
The Pass of Killiecrankie, showing the river, the railway
and the busy A9 above (just below the clouds!)
Back in the saddle, the last 4 miles back to Pitlochry were pretty much a complete washout with rain coming down in sheet from above, and the spray from the passing vehicles (and my own tyres) attacking me from all other angles. Reluctantly, I decided to forego the distillery visit (not that they would have welcome the drowned rat that I was anyway), and head for the sanctuary of the B&B for the last time. One last photo opportunity to say cherrio to my faithful bike, before locking it away for the night to be collected tomorrow morning sometime. Quite an emotional moment really......sniff....

I've seen that expression before somewhere........


Ah yes, there it is.....
Today's soggy route can be viewed here, although I really should have put the GPS on pause when I was touring the castle as it looks like I dancing a highland jig at that point in the recorded route (I did struggle to find the toilets at one point!).

And so, another blog comes to an end. Hope it's been of some interest or amusement and that it encourages you to get out there and explore our beautiful country. Depite my moans and groans, the weather was not that bad and a wee bit of common sense when it comes to kit goes a long way to making life more comfortable. It also makes you appreciate the good days even more (and there is always at least one, although I'm not giving any guarantees with that statement)!

Might be wee while before I'm blogging again as I'm running out of holidays - however, nothing stopping any of you lot picking up the mantle!

Bon voyage!


No comments:

Post a Comment