Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Day 3 - Killin to Aberfeldy

Loch Tay!  .....Wow!


Looking back down the loch to Killin

Granted the glorious weather helped, but the scenery was simply stunning. The National Cycle Route 7 takes the minor road along the South side of the loch, and I reckon was passed by only fours cars along it's entire length. Plenty of steep hills to test the mettle, always compensated for by a long descent where I could crank the speed up as fast as my nerve would allow. Could possibly be the best day's cycling I've ever had.


Ben Lawers

I couldn't believe how quickly I came upon Kenmore, 16 miles into the day and I consciously eased off the pace a little, taking in good views of the town itself across the water and the Crannog attraction where an replica Iron Age loch dwelling has been recreated for the tourists - it makes for some stunning photos.


Kenmore

The Crannog

So cocky was I, that I deciced to add on an extra 9 miles by including a long detour to visit the Fortingall Yew, reputed to be the oldest living thing in Europe if not on earth (yes, yes...the jokes are too easy!). At 5000 years old (est) and rumoured to be the birthplace of Pontius Pilate, it's latest job was to provide the shade for my lunch after which I had a quick look round Fortingall itself, which consists - unusually for Scotland - a series of thatched cottages. Very pretty it was too!


Ancient, wizened, weather-beaten....and standing next to the Fortingall Yew!
After lunch, I completed the Fortingall Loop and joined the main trail again, with five uneventful miles taking to my final destination of Aberfeldy. Uneventful doesn't quite cover it. Tedious, dreary, tiresome......some would even say....

Only joking - it's a nice route!
I arrived in the lovley town of Aberfeldy a little bit too early to head to the B&B, so instead I ventured into the town centre and bought a ticket for the newly refurbished Birks Cinema just off the square - a truly wonderful community arts centre. Aberdeen City Council could learn some serious lessons here!

A night at the Picture Hoose in store!


Still feeling I was too early to disturb my hosts for the night at Balnearn House, I ventured up the to The Birks of Aberfeldy, an impressive waterfall complex that so impressed Rabbie Burns it moved him to poetry. It didn't take much to get him going from what I hear - in any walk of life!


The Birks
The Bard
Finally settled in to my B&B for the night (very impressive it is too!) and am currentlys itting in the sumptuous lounge on the leather sofa, watching the clouds roll in over the hills as I type up this nonsense - smug in the knowledge that I certainly got the best of the day!

Today's route can be found here, and tomorrow sees me tackling the relatively short skip (16 miles) to Pitlochry.

 















1 comment:

  1. What a great route! Looks like the stunning views complemented the Dull moments nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete