Monday, 29 April 2013

Day 2 - Callander to Killin

No fire alarms last night, and a blue sky to wake up to. Things were looking up. Some ominous looking clouds to the North were to prove worthy adversaries throughout the day, but I set off in good fettle for the day ahead.

 

The going was good and even the squally showers didn't dampen my spirits as I picked up the disused railway line and cranked up the pace along the section that hugged the shore of Loch Lubnaig.
First sight of Loch Lubnaig - looking promising!
 
As I wound my way towards Balquhidder a classic cocktail of sunshine and showers had me alternately sitting up to enjoy the sun on my back, and crouching low into the headwind squinting through the rain.

Looking even better near Balquhidder....
  
Getting there.....
 
Handy marker....

Normal service resumed at Loch Voil, by Balquhidder.

Photo ops were few and far between despite the evidently fine scenery, however I did stop off to take a snap of the grave of Rob Roy McGregor, a local worthy of these here parts. Now, history is not my strong point but as far as I can work out, Mel Gibson and Liam Neeson got married and had a baby with a strange accent called Rob. Or Roy. Turned out to be a bit of character and is lauded for being the Scottish Robin Hood - without the tights (cue inevitable skirt gag for those South of the border). I'm pretty sure he played for Melchester Rovers too but I could be making that last bit up......


Freeeeeeeedom!!....oh, sorry - wrong movie!


Anyway, after queuing to take a snap (and I'm not joking!) I sheltered from the rain in the church porch with the two steeple jack fellas who were refurbishing the belfry. I got the full, fascinating story from them and they even showed me how to round off a bell rope, which is always handy.

Nice work if you can get it.
I could have happily sat there all day, but the rain stopped and the National Cycle Network 7 beckoned once more and I was soon winding my way up the remarkably steep and zig-zaggy path above Lochearnhead. Views were worth it though.....

Loch Earn

After a long rest at the top 'taking photos', I rocketed off along Glen Ogle, traversing the viaduct long the way, before stopping for lunch then hurtling down the steep descent to my final destination, Killin.
 

Glen Ogle Viaduct
A rare moment of contemplation between the showers.

Nice sleepy wee village Killin, Crazy waterfall system slap bang in the middle though....


Twilight at the Falls of Dochart


Tomorrow sees me skirting the shore of Loch Tay, ultimately heading for Aberfeldy via Kenmore, The forecast is excellent, but I'm not breaking out the Factor 30 just yet.

Today's route can be find here if you're insterested.


3 comments:

  1. Hey gus. Loving the blog and feeling very jealous. Might get your route plan and do this in the summer hols. Enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries Janet, I'll give you a shout once I get back.

    ReplyDelete